Wednesday, September 8, 2010

ppl skillz

1 and 1/2 week of school update: Scrubs. We have to wear scrubs to class everyday in the name of the dying art of professionalism.
Look! I made the horse skeleton fuse to the cat skeleton! If only there were some pop culture reference about fusing the end of one victim's GI tract to the beginning of another victim's digestive tract creating a sort of many-legged monster resembling a common household insect in an easy to remember camp movie plot, then I could make a hilarious joke here. Right here. In this caption.

I've also had to consider my penmanship and work on my communication skills among other trite courtesies I've never ever ever ever ever ever had to consider as a chemistry student. They never expected us to gain "people skills" in the academic warpath just as they never expected any of the engineering nerds to find themselves a decent haircut that didn't make em look like they spent the week before school napping on Doritos bags in between World of Warcraft benders. I guess everyone just assumed that once you studied the Born-Oppenheimer approximation you were essentially signing your marriage license to the grad student carrel desk of your dreams.

Pfffft. Scrubs.
9 out of 10 because I mistakenly called the dorsal cavity the vertebral cavity. On the plus side, WE GET CAT STICKERS ON OUR QUIZZEZZZZZ!! Finally, a teacher who "gets me."

The scrubs and the penmanship are whatevs. I'm worried about my people skills. There is a reason I am much more comfortable in written blog format than a human contact kind of way. I don't have much practice. I won't cater to people's boring conversations. I don't like putting anyone else before my own feelings. And fuck it if I'm not in a client service based field now. I tried to borrow How to Win Friends and Influence People at the Public Library but they're all lent out. Guess I'm reading the heck out of its Wikipedia entry tonight. Sad face.

Well, step 1 is admit you have a probs, right? On to step two...

5 comments:

Argent said...

Well Guinn, I hardly know you. But your people skills seem perfectly fine!

Argent said...

Oh dear ... in case you are wondering Argent is the pseudonym for Garnet.

G la fille said...

Hi Garnet, I mean Argent! It's good to hear from you :) Thanks for the compliment. My people skills greatly improve after a large bowl of tiki drinks :)

Argent said...

Well, it seems tiki bars are making a comeback. Have you seen
The Tiki Bar Has Returned?
If you ever come out this way, we can all go.

G la fille said...

Sounds goooooood! I haven't yet decided if I'm going to come out on my Fall break (only 4 days) or after the semester ends (somewhat unlimited amount of time). Yay! And also- of course you don't have to work on your people skills... you have a british accent!

Post a Comment