The Oktober people were excellent. I tried to act nonchalant when Nate and I bumped into each other, but of course melted as soon as he hugged moi. Musicians! AM I RIGHT?!
Say what you will, you negative assholes, Bethany can wear the fuck out of a dress.
I needed major tranquilizers. Marc convinced me to get there at Nerd o'clock, like even before the whatever first band was playing. Plus, ex-bf and his gf were meeting us there, plus plus I was just having general social anxiety.
I started off with a big shot of tequila and a Schlitz (my now preferred beer since the visit to Chicago).
Anyway, I was being a dork and chatting to the girls super fast cause it's been years since I've been in girl company downtown. And also it was kinda fun being the scenester party kids to their mormons on sabbatical. I don't think they were Holy Christian Goody Two Shoes (why did I capitalize all that?), but definitely on the way there. Definitely not weird enough.
The Album Leaf were great. Really. I was standing behind this one guy who would audibly blow air out of his mouth after every song, like his mind was blown from every note played. It wasn't that great, but it pretty much rocked my night. Also, that same superfan was seen rubbing himself on the speakers afterward.
And at some point I lost my sweater and drank three more beers and bought a poster.
It's probably a bar rag now.
Then we went to Atomic where I noticed my strap had broken. The boys flirted with girls, the girls flirted with boys. Why is that guy bartender at Atomic so beautiful? Why!? Like, not to be a 12 year old middle schooler, but he's crushingly beautiful. Sigh.
Marc told me about his theory on Jay. Jay's the "clean-up guy" - sorry, is that the right word? For example, Marc or Bill would go over and talk to a couple girls, act belligerent, but not too awful and then Jay comes over and modestly asks if his friend is being a bother to them. And then they joke around, flirt, buy them drinks whatever.
WHAT WORLD AM I LIVING IN?! This makes me wonder, have I even been on the other side of a clean-up? Have you?
Then we took a cab to Pipers. Same old routine, you know? There was a girly there wearing a folk art dress that I was thiiiiis close to buying five months ago. Tres cool. She didn't say hi to us, just sat on Pipers bed kind of dazed. Remember that one time some macho psychopath flailed heavy chains at us at an afterparty here? Good times, good times. Anyway, we walked home and enjoyed the delightful, cool, summer night breeze.
Oh! To be young and wild! I'm so grateful!
See? Broken strap. :(
Oh, and I found the bass chords to an Oktober People song on the floor at Launchpad. Groupie!






















0 comments:
Post a Comment