Thursday, February 12, 2009

darwin lincoln face-off

Charles Darwin and Abraham Lincoln's birthdays are today and UNM is having a few events.

events I'm academically inclined to go to:
From 3:30-5 p.m., Distinguished Professor Geerat Vermeil presents, “The New Evolutionary Synthesis: Putting Economics Back into Darwinism,” in Anthropology 163.

From 7-8 p.m.
, The Reluctant Mr. Darwin, The day ends with a keynote address by David Quammen, author of The Reluctant Mr. Darwin, in Woodward Hall 101. Quammen is a science journalist, nonfiction author, and novelist who travels on assignment for various magazines, to jungles, deserts and swamps.

OMG I'm so going:
Beginning at 5:15 p.m., the UNM Art Museum will present a celebration of Abraham Lincoln
* Have a slice of Lincoln’s log cabin birthday cake
* Dr. Regina Carlow’s Dolce Suono Mixed Chorus sings “Happy Birthday”

Lincoln, obviously, great guy! great deeds! but everyone publicly agrees with the results of the Civil War and 13th amendment. Darwin, on the other hand, is highly misunderstood by a majority of the United States. I'm banking on being pummeled by Baptist Ministry pamphlets at the Darwin events. Wish me luck.

0 comments:

Post a Comment