Monday, February 23, 2009

the nicks in us

1981, Stevie Nicks sits backstage with her childhood friend and backup singer. Rolling Stone journalists set up a camera aimed at Stevie and walk away. The backstage is hot and stuffy and many people are running around, setting up equipment. To stand still is to be in the way. A lone fan is blowing air onto Stevie and the feathers in her hair tussle about. The instrumental track to Lindsey Buckingham's "Can't Go Back" quietly begins playing.

I think I re-watched this over thirty times last week. It's perfect. It's tender and sweet and mean all at once. It's like that unmistakable mood that girls get into. Do you know what I'm writing about? It's when we want to torture you a little bit. It's when we want to touch your skin and give kisses and be left alone. And we want to be grumpy and playful and confuse you. I'm sorry boys, but this is only one of the billions of girl moods that should unsettle you. Watch the video.

It can solve your problems.

0 comments:

Post a Comment