Wednesday, May 13, 2009

I need a hug

So the reason I decided to get up and leave the old URL is mainly because my parents were obsessing over me, my life, my behavior, my blog. If you didn't know already, I graduated with my tremendously impressive BS in Chemistry in December 2007 and right after took that tremendously spiritless job at S.E.D. Medical Labs. I'm not being an asshole here and complaining about a perfectly normal job, which was at worst revolting and monotonous, I'm just explaining:

Basically, my bosses lied to me about the job hours I was supposed to work. When I was hired, I was lead to believe I would work 8am to 4:30pm for my initial training and then move to the 3pm to 11pm shift. Instead, they asked me if I could come in a little earlier every week. "8 o'clock is just a little too late, G, maybe come in thirty minutes earlier?" Meanwhile, interrupting my extractions to tell me what a good employee I was and building me up. Then, like clockwork, come back and ask me to come in a little earlier. Eventually, I was coming into work at 4 in the morning and expected to forego overtime. When asked when I would be able to move to the 3pm shift, I was told they already filled that position. We were treated like shit if we needed to work overtime and every wonderful action required a write-up. It was like corporate world on overdrive. I quit as soon as I used up all my vacation days and saved up about $10,000.

So, I took some time to heal. Literally. Even after I was hired, I was too spoiled to give up my party girl nights and wound up sleeping 1 to 3 hours a night four nights out of the week. Fortunately, I never took drugs to maintain my schedule, but it made me very sick, which I chose to ignore understanding I was making a lot of money to support myself after I quit. I would vomit, develop migraines, pass out and have anxiety attacks almost every day for six months.

Why am I writing this? I chose to do this to myself. I chose to take time off from school. I worked really fucking hard at a degree that was difficult for me and got a great paying job in one of the worst corporate atmospheres and I took as much $ from them as I could without killing myself. Then I chose to quit my job. I chose to stay unemployed. And it's been the happiest and most frightened I've ever been. I'm not sure exactly what I will be doing in 5 years ... in 2 years ... in 2 weeks, but I'm complete and happy.

My parents' concern for me however was becoming insane. For the past two months, I was receiving two super long emails a day from them. I was receiving no less than 5 phone calls from my dad and 2 from my mom. You don't know my dad, obviously. His quick phone calls are still 45 minutes long. He doesn't let you talk because he called so it's his conversation. I was spending up to four hours a day wasted on arguments with my parents, which is something I was hoping could have been left behind in my teen years.

I love my parents very much and see the concern they have for me, but it's not a healthy relationship when I am never allowed to get my point across nor when it becomes a daily struggle to defend my own choices. It's exhausting and their access to old blog, G in A, was just exacerbating the sitch.

Yikes. SSL! If you're a boy that means 'sorry so long'. I'm trying to heal my relationship with my parents, but I need them to back up a little bit and let me make my own choices. The last thing I should be doing is going back to school for something that was making me very depressed in the first place. Hopefully, that explains a little about me, and maybe there's someone out there dealing with the same thing.

Now let's get back to talking 'bout grrrrrrl stuff, k?

0 comments:

Post a Comment