Wednesday, June 10, 2009

uhm, am i dating my arabic student?

Grrrrr. Ahmed's given me roses, paid for my din din at El Patio, called to make sure I was OK twice (!) after I canceled our tutoring sesh, and lectured me about Muslim marriages ... yikes.

Wait wait, I mean, YI-III-IIII-KES!

Dammit, am I being an egocentric asshole again or is this really happening? Are Muslims allowed to date? If so, are they allowed to date non-Muslims? I've made it extremely clear that I recently became an atheist. Does he think that means I'm open to a new religion? Hmmmmm.

Option A.
He's learned his American cultural clues from Friends and/or Grey's Anatomy and isn't aware roses are a romantic thing. He paid for El Patio because he owes me money for tutoring him in ESL. He's genuinely a nice guy and wanted to make sure I was OK after canceling on him. He's just trying to share Islam with someone who doesn't know much about it.

Option B.
He's trying to date me to get out of payment for ESL tutoring.

Option C.
He's trying to date me to ... get closer to me?

This is very foreign to me. I've never met anyone who's wanted to date someone without the eventual end-of-the-night goal of sex. What are the dating rules of a devout Muslim? Is he a devout Muslim? I know he goes to Mosque every Friday. There must be degrees of how devout a Muslim is like how there are in Christianity or Judiasm or any other religion. Do roses mean I love you in EVERY LANGUAGE?! Hmmmmm.

I'm going to have a very strict talk with Ahmed today about what red roses mean in America. That should clear things up.

0 comments:

Post a Comment