The Las Vegas tourism catch phrase ruminates in my mind. What happens in Vegas... stays in Vegas. Happens. Stays. Happens. Stays.Only pausing when I speak aloud or fall asleep.
Really, the motto is fatally accurate. It doesn't feign positivity. It doesn't hug and kiss you. It doesn't comfort you. It is unclear on purpose.
The city tourism board could have gone with any number of stupid mottos. Fun You Can Bet Your Life On. Anything Is Possible. The City That Never Sleeps... On Anything Less Than Silk. But their current motto, What Happens Stays, really illustrates its odd charm of being a city of dreams and nightmares. A manic battlefield. A flipbook of comedy and tragedy. I can still hear the clack! woooph, clack! clack! of glossy cards being flung at us from the strip. The taste of maraschino cherries, dry martinis and cigar smoke caught in the curls of our hair. Missing light bulbs, broken mirrors and lipstick kisses on dice. Fighting and screaming and crying and whispering and silence.
I miss it, mourn it and don't want it all in the same breath.
We'll catch up soon, boyfriend is out of town again and I'm ALOOOOOOOOONE :(
-G

0 comments:
Post a Comment