Wednesday, May 12, 2010

tricks of the trade

My yard sale sign monsterpieces:
Not as weird or grotesque as I originally recalled. Maybe I'm just remembering the dark highs of unintentional Sharpie huffing.

I stayed up late on Thursday night leafing through old books, unhelpfully peering in past journals and diaries, unfolding love notes written on notebook paper, reading the extravagantly staccato statements of an ordinary 16 year old, lyrics from Fake Plastic Trees written in amateur calligraphy on certain days... green plastic watering can... Names of boys I'd fall in love with for a week and then forget about. Thomas... Casey... Ian... Patrick... (wow, did I go to an Irish school?) Sometimes referring to boys by their secret code names. Smoking Anarchist, Curls, Messenger Boy, Quiet Stranger.

Saying good-bye to dresses and jackets and shoes that were there for all the midnight spells and tingly first dates and late night trips to Smith's for ice cream. Threads and zippers that have heard me yelling or sobbing or laughing or kissing, sometimes all in the same night. Clothes that have seen more of me than any one person has. Clothes that really do not see or hear. That have never been more than the mass produced fabric that they are composed of, still I mourn the idea of saying good-bye to these little tangible parts of my memory.

I sat and remembered for hours, saying good-bye to everything and Marc piled all his shit near the door without circumstance. Sometimes we are so different I can't imagine how we get along outside of sex and the mutual appreciation of Star Trek: The Next Generation :) TMI!!!!!!!!!!!!


PLEASE CLICK BELOW TO READ MORE!




Magazines are falling out of our windows and would be pushing out of our chimney if we had a fireplace. I had to get rid of some of them! Boo-hoo, sorta. I kept my Jane's, sold the duplicates and god-awful Cosmos and made about $20 on the lot. Best part ever was when a van of developmentally disabled guys came over and bought my favorite one, the Kate Hudson W mag, for 50 cents! Sad to see it go, but happy it went to them :)
hey, chu wanna live nexta me?
Wow... I actually own a "green plastic watering can." (Upper left in photo.) THIS IS LIFE IMITATING ART IMITATING LIFE IMITATING A YARD SALE.
We had several people drive by and seriously ask how much our cats and plants were being sold for. NOT FOR SALE!! WHAT ARE YOU, A WEIRDO?! Why would we be selling our cats at a yard sale?! Hahaha, I love Albuquerque.
Marc's hip kid garb was going for $2 a pop. The only people who bought from it were 75 year old Hispanic grandpas. Awwww :)
Afterward, we cooled off with an Orange Slice and Marble IPA at NY Pizza Dept. downtown, listening to a little girl's birthday pizza party at the next tables and people watching on Central. It was beautifully sunny and a little breezy and very dry. The kind of spring day that reminds you summer is only a couple weeks away. And then night biking with beers in our backpacks, coconut sunscreen, flip-flops and weekend camping trips will rule again. Is it possible to be nostalgic before anything has even happened??

We remembered that it was UNM's last academic week which means... DUMPSTER DIVING!! There be spoiled co-eds tossed off treasure to be found!
We couldn't find the gigantic green dumpster, full of radios, chairs, bookcases and other perfectly functional pieces of furniture so we scouted the other small dumpsters with gloved hands. I am in no way about to put my bare hands on college condoms and moldy microwave junk food... barf. But it was just trash bags and an occasional bean bag. Hmmmm... maybe the dorm rats don't move out until next weekend? We'll have to find out... TO BE CONTINUED!
Even without finding the dumpsters, UNM campus couldn't be prettier than during late spring. It made for a lovely walk.
We came home to a house still full of yard sale leftovers, but not so bad! We made a total of $250 and I have at least $30 of stuff to donate to Goodwill for payback for the fur stole they sold me for $1.35 (too many 'fors' in that last sentence, yeesh.)
Student Ghetto Laz-E-Boy bed.
Plus-plus, we drove out to Moriarty TWICE that weekend for my brother's Jazz Band performance slash end of the year banquet slash omg, it is still embarrassing to go to your high school eight years after you've graduated :) Memories...

0 comments:

Post a Comment