This is my mom's birthday in Moriarty. August 18, 2009
She's the youngest of her siblings, so she still gets treated like a baby.
My parents' property has a ton of Russian Olives around the perimeter of the gardens and driveways. I remember growing up thinking the Russian Olive tree was as ubiquitous as the Junipers in New Mexico. It didn't occur to me that my dad loved the look and shade of them and planted every single one himself.
They are breathtaking to look at and wonderful to smell. A very crisp and dry reed.
But, watch for the thorns!
I bought my mom some delicate pink and yellow roses. They reminded me of her.
We didn't have any vases, my dad put it in a gigantic pretzel jar.
I love my Auntie Martha's fry bread.
I played lifeguard while the kiddies swam. Can you see the rainstorm to the west?
This picture reminds me of my mom and her sisters so well. They are exceptionally strong ladies. Quiet and powerful. Doing the work of twenty men without complaint. And still, able to have time to paint her nails.
green chile ...
drool.
I was informed this is called Navajo Tea.
One of my aunties found it on the side of the road and brought some for mom.
Afterward, I took Marc on a hidden road beyond Edgewood. A few friends from High School lived that way and I hadn't driven on it since then. The rush of forgotten memories picked me up. It's funny to think about how long ago high school was when I can still feel lightheaded and dizzy from a first crush and staying out past curfew.
It's very different living on this side of the Sandias. The quiet can scare you.
All the while, I silently pleaded to live within the city. On the other side of the mountain. I missed out on the very crucial events that occurs to a city child. Riding bikes to a friends' house, walking to stores, walking anywhere important (to a teenager). I just wanted to be part of that anonymous wave of people in a city. I wanted to be a part of something bigger! And I was stuck at the end of a dirt road with my kid sister, baby brother and two parents who already lived out their party days.
I'm quick to groan about my own country upbringing. Meanwhile, I'm trying to capture the stark beauty in the East Mountains. Funny.


























0 comments:
Post a Comment