Hi-Lo!
I'm writing a new Travel Trip post and I have a song we can listen to together while I type ...
CLICK BELOW TO READ MORE
third eye blind, semi charmed life.
Most of the new songs I heard in middle school were from endlessly watching music video channels. I remember Who Will Save Your Soul took place in a dark bathroom with hanging ivy, Foo Fighters' strange dream sequences for Everlong, Trent Reznor's devastatingly sexual glares in The Perfect Drug. And now when I magically hear these songs out in the world, because I don't have any music from middle school in my itunes save for a leftover Silverchair song, I can literally watch my hazy memory of the music video in my mind.
Rewatching Semi Charmed Life reminds me of how inappropriately sexual my thoughts were back in my early teens. Stephan Jenkins was an older man who could use me if he wanted to. I watched this video of my crush and imagined his hands on me ... hahaha, how embarassing. I wish I could say I were joking, but most likely everyone else at that age could say the same thing about the guy from Weezer or Blink 182 or one of the Spice Girls, and if not, then EEEP! I'M A NERD. But, maybe watching music videos in our horny, confusing pubescence is the best way to listen to music. It was uncomfortable, exciting, erotic sometimes and memorable. I know I can recite the first two verses of Semi Charmed Life, no problem. I've yet to do the same for Yo La Tengo and other indie bands that fill my computer. Maybe I should find my Smells Like Teen Spirit deodorant, shop for maxi pads and write a secret note to my crush before I attempt Shout Out Louds last album.
I just decided that this should be its own post. TTYS bout the other thang :)

3 comments:
because of this song, I bought red panties in middle school:)
Oh man, I WISH my parents let me buy red panties! I had to wait until summer vacation when I could shop for clothes by myself in North Carolina. I think my first scandalous underwear was a teal blue thong from Walmart, hahahaha!
Hahah I remember my first days at the senior center when this song came out. Ahh, those days of playing mahjong with my cronies..
Post a Comment